Estimating in Building Construction Seventh Version by Frank R. Dagostino and Steven J. Peterson
Download Estimating in Building Construction Seventh Version by Frank R. Dagostino and Steven J. Peterson simply in PDF format free of charge.
|E-book Particulars :|
Table of contents :
1. Introduction to Estimating 2. Contracts, Bonds, and Insurance 3. Project Manual 4. The Estimate 5. Computers in Estimating 6. Overhead and Contingencies 7. Labor 8. Equipment 9. Excavation 10. Concrete 11. Masonry 12. Metals 13. Wood 14. Thermal and Moisture Protection 15. Doors and Windows 16. Finishes 17. Electrical 18. Plumbing 19. Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning 20. Profit 21. Other Estimating Methods Appendix A. Drawings and Outline Specifications for Small Commercial Building Appendix B. Drawings and Outline Specifications for Residential Building Project Appendix C. Drawings and Outline Specifications for Commercial Building Project Appendix D. Common Terms Used in the Building Industry Appendix E. Conversions Appendix F. Billy’s C-Store Appendix G. Real Estate Office Appendix H. Bidsim Appendix I. Spreadsheets Index
The seventh version continues to construct on the sturdy basis of the earlier editions. The necessity for estimators to grasp the speculation behind quantification is essential and should be totally understood previous to performing any computerized estimating.
This underlying premise has been one of many guiding ideas that started with Mr. Dagostino and continues with the present writer. This version makes use of in depth examples and workouts to exhibit methodology and to the group of the estimate. Estimating is an artwork that depends closely on the judgment of the particular person performing the takeoff.
An individual estimating abilities can solely be developed with follow; due to this fact, the reader is inspired to work the instance issues and apply the talents taught in this e-book. Because the estimate is used all through the venture, the assumptions and methodologies assumed should be documented and arranged in order that subsequent customers could have entry to this information.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
The intent of this revision is to increase the estimating materials coated by this e-book and to carry different materials in line with present trade practices. The next is a listing of key adjustments and additions which have been made to this version:
– The dialogue of the several types of estimates (e.g., sq. foot and parametric estimates) has been expanded in Chapter 1.
– A chapter discussing the venture comparability technique, square-foot estimating, and meeting estimating has been added on the finish of the e-book as Chapter 21.
– The time period specs has been changed with venture guide when referring to the e-book that accompanies the plans and contains the contract paperwork and different info in addition to the technical specs. The time period specs is used to check with the technical specification. This was performed to be according to practices of the Construction Specs Institute.
– A chapter offering an summary of the usage of computer systems in building estimating has been added as Chapter 5.
– A dialogue of how one can decide labor burden has been added to Chapter 7 (previously Chapter 6).
– A dialogue of how one can decide labor productiveness has been added to Chapter 7 (previously Chapter 6).
– The time period â€œwork hourâ€ has been changed with the extra generally used time period â€œlabor hourâ€ all through the e-book.
– Using revealed estimating information, similar to RS Means, has been added to Chapters 7 and 21.
I thank the next for his or her insightful evaluations: Frederick E. Gould, Roger Williams College; Donald E Mulligan, Professor Emeritus at Arizona State College; and Wayne Reynolds, Jap Kentucky State College.
Building building estimating is the dedication of possible building prices of any given venture. Many objects affect and contribute to the price of a venture; every merchandise should be analyzed, quantified, and priced. As a result of the estimate is ready earlier than the precise building, a lot examine and thought should be put into the development paperwork. The estimator who can visualize the venture and precisely decide its value will change into one of the crucial necessary individuals in any building firm. For initiatives constructed with the design-bid-build (DBB) supply system, it’s vital for contractors to submit a aggressive value estimate for the venture.
The competitors in building bidding is intense, with a number of companies vying for a single venture. To remain in enterprise, a contractor should be the lowest-qualified bidder on a sure variety of initiatives, whereas sustaining an appropriate revenue margin. This revenue margin should present the final contractor an appropriate price of return and compensation for the chance related to the venture. As a result of the estimate is ready from the working drawings and the venture guide for a constructing, the flexibility of the estimator to visualise all the completely different phases of the development venture turns into a primary ingredient in profitable bidding.
The working drawings normally comprise info relative to the design, location, dimensions, and building of the venture, whereas the venture guide is a written complement to the drawings and contains info pertaining to supplies and workmanship, in addition to details about the bidding course of. The working drawings and the venture guide represent nearly all of the contract paperwork, outline the scope of labor, and should be thought-about collectively when making ready an estimate. The 2 complement one another, and so they usually overlap in the knowledge they convey.
Estimating the last word value of a venture requires the combination of many variables. These variables fall into both direct discipline prices or oblique discipline prices. The oblique discipline prices are additionally known as normal situations or venture overhead prices in constructing building. The direct discipline prices are the fabric, labor, gear, or subcontracted objects which can be completely and bodily built-in into the constructing. For instance, the labor and supplies for the muse of the constructing can be a direct discipline value. The oblique discipline prices are the associated fee for the objects which can be required to help the sector building efforts.
For instance, the venture website workplace can be a normal situations value. As well as, elements similar to climate, transportation, soil situations, labor strikes, materials availability, and subcontractor availability must be built-in into the estimate. Whatever the variables concerned, the estimator should attempt to arrange as correct an estimate as doable.
Estimating in building construction
Author(s): Peterson, Steven J.; Dagostino, Frank R.
Publisher: Pearson, Year: 2015